The UK TV and film production sectors have a diversity problem. It is London centred and the stories told largely come from the same background. Production companies also have a problem finding talented writers and high quality scripts.
ScriptReader.studio is a screenwriting site that uses a new script rating system to help identify talent and promote them to production companies. We also allow readers to show that they have experience of rating screenplays, another important factor.
Problems we’re working to solve
A huge part of this is encouraging the diversity of the industry.
With ScriptReader.studio we will do several issues to help solve these social problems:
- not enough writers from diverse backgrounds think screenwriting is for them – we will be active in seeking out new talent from diverse backgrounds by contacting groups, organisations and individuals who can help
- it’s difficult to get experience and to demonstrate it – we will make it easy to show experience and skill
- there are 100s of scripts and it can be hard to find the right one – we combine novel human and machine learning methods to identify the most promising scripts
- it’s difficult for production companies to find quality new scripts that meet their requirements – we combine novel human and machine learning methods to identify the most promising scripts by ratings and genre and to incentivise those from a diverse background if wished
- it’s difficult for new writers to network and gain support – we are building a community that is supportive and helps others